12.11.2009

The stockings weren't hung...



This year we had our Christmas tree up before Thanksgiving. We didn't decorate it or drag the rest of the holiday decorations out until the first of December, however. Last year was the first year we were in this house and the first year we had a fireplace, so I was (and am) pretty excited about decorating the mantel and hanging our stockings by the chimney with care. Except I won't be able to actually hang them until Christmas Eve. You see those reindeer and stars aways down the mantel, to the right? Those are our stocking hangers. They weigh approximately a jillion pounds, so I can just anticipate Mog grabbing the toe of a stocking and giving it a pull, only to knock himself out with a reindeer. Not a good scenario.

For now the reindeer and star will sit patiently with their little hooks waiting for the moment when a small boy goes to sleep on the eve of Christmas, waiting to hold four oversized socks stuffed to the brim with tiny treasures. Four. Yes, four. Eli, Rachel, Eliot, Mumford. (Mumford's stocking may be filled with coal this year, but he still gets one.)

The advent house I bought last year has been a BIG hit. The first thing Eliot wants to do each morning is open the window and see what's inside. We talk about what number today is and what do you think could be behind number eight? Number nine? What about fourteen? He is definitely most intrigued with the door. What could possibly be behind that door? He asks every morning if he can open the door. Nope, not today. Not today. Not today. The anticipation has been so much fun.



Behind each of the little windows is a different chocolate--some Hershey's kisses, Butterfinger bells, and little chocolate wrapped Santa Clauses.

I'm already thinking that for next year, rather than chocolate behind every window, I'll have slips of paper with activities, like "watch Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," or "drive around and look at Christmas lights," decorate Christmas cookies," etc. That's what I had originally planned for this year, but I wasn't prepared and just couldn't summon the energy. We have been trying to do something festive everyday, or at least just take some time in the evening to sit in the dark and look at the lights on our tree. It's a nice way to calm down and relax at the end of each day.

Now I suppose I need to find something really cool to put behind that door (!) The door and the upper window, 24 and 25, they're going to have to be something special, now that he's all into the whole concept. If he FINALLY gets to open that door, and all he finds is another chocolate bell, I predict some serious holiday disappointment. Suggestions???

7 comments:

Adriane said...

My kids love our advent calendar. I asked them once what their favorite thing about Christmas was, and several of them named the calendar. We have a magnetic one with doors. The kids open the doors, find a wooden nativity figurine, and place it on the magnet board in the middle. I also do 25 socks with slips of paper in them with activities to do. It didn't work out doing calendars like Mom used to, my kids would just sneak all the chocolate off at the beginning and eat it. Maybe you could fit a little car or Thomas train in #24, and confetti with a slip of paper telling him to open his presents in #25.

Suzanne said...

omg i have no idea what to put in those boxes, but i love the idea! i was going to suggest maybe a toy car or something too... or maybe a note saying he gets to do something he really loves for a whole afternoon, or watch his favorite movie... that's all i got. haven't had coffee yet this morning :)

your mantel looks great!

Nellie Mae said...

LOVELY!! I can't wait until I have a reason (kids) for an advent calendar!!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I suggest a small toy or ornament. Maybe a note from Santa on the 25th saying thanks for the cookies? Our advent calendar is usually a Lego one. My kids open all the doors and eat all the candy when I have those

Elecia said...

Love it. Zayda has the traditional calander that mom always made for us. She is painting a christmas picture (her job for today) as I type this. Will your phone fit in the door? I suggest letting him call someone on christmas eve ( a man of course) and they can pretend they are santa and tell him to go to bed early because he will come that night. I'm sure you could get Gary or matt or someone to do that for ya. Or I'm sure even mom could do a good santa voice!!

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

I wish I had an advent calendar like yours! I've always wanted one. Perhaps I'll do an advent wall hanging for next year. I think a little ornament for the door would be good. I'm not even sure why there is a #25 on those things. I would think they would get overshadowed on Christmas morning. But I didn't grow up with advent, so I don't know.

Seth said...

First off, brav-OH on your lovely mantel! I love the staggered framed pieces you have hanging up. Ah, my dear, I can sense so much artistic progress being made!

I, too, have very vivid memories of our family advent calendar. Ours was made of felt and inside each "pocket" was a holiday shaped item with a piece of velcro glued to the back, e.g. a candy cane, a snowflake, etc. Above the rows of pockets was a big, green, felt Christmas tree. When you withdrew the daily holiday object, you got to fasten it onto the tree. Simple pleasures, most definitely.

To throw my two cents out there, perhaps you could get a special holiday ornament that would live behind Door #24. And when Eliot opens it up, he can hang it on the tree. Then, every year after, he will have his own special advent ornaments!

I'm just sayin....