7.20.2011

Read me.

Let the Northern Lights Erase Your NameLet the Northern Lights Erase Your Name by Vendela Vida

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was a great summer read. While my body was trapped here in the middle of a Midwestern July heat wave, my mind was in Lapland at the Ice Hotel with Clarissa, a young woman in search of her biological father.


Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name was a fast read, and I really enjoyed the simple, but lyrical quality of Vida's writing. Some of her descriptions were just completely wonderful. One of my favorites comes as Clarissa ends up spending a night on a bench at the train station in a town just outside the Arctic Circle. She says: "I slept with my purse held close to me, like an infant. On a nearby bench, a woman slept with her baby held close to her, like a purse." I cannot tell you how much that description delighted me.

Yes, I'm a dork. I don't care.


View all my reviews

No comments: